Hi, Mary--I didn't participate in this thread in time
to be included in your hit but I would like to comment
about the senior English project that I am currently
immersed in right at the moment and Jacqui's and
others' comments.

To organize their thesis topics, the students are
using graphic organizers from Joyce Valenza's revised
Power Tools that they received as Microsoft word
files. They are using books,reference books, online
databases and free web sites--whatever is appropriate
for their topics--immersing themselves in their
research by reading and reflecting and then making
their notes (including citations) in Word. Yes, they
are copying and pasting chunks of relevant info from
web sites and online articles, but they also copy and
paste bibliographic information. They've found that it
takes only seconds to copy and paste a URL and it
makes their lives so much easier ;-D.

Their drafts and final papers, including Works Cited
pages, are going to be corrected and e-mailed back to
them by their teacher (I corrected the citations)
using the Word reviewing tool bar.

They are required to include the use of books for
their depth (or at least check for some, including
ILL) but are much more comfortable taking notes from
the books, recording citation info and page numbers
for parenthetical references directly into a word
processing document than taking those note on note
cards and then into a WP processing document. I've
watched students write "fake" note cards for teachers
who still require them after taking good notes using
word processing documents.

Students without computers at home (and those with) do
have access to library and other labs' computers for
typing, saving on the server so they can use computers
anywhere.

We're still tweaking this as we do it, but the teacher
is creative and we have used the development of
authentic questions, pre-research and the use of
graphic organizers (Inspiration would work well but we
don't have a license for enough students yet) to
revise a standard project that is closer to how
students will actually do their research in college in
a few months--with an emphasis on evaluation of
information and the use of all types of sources in
valid ways.

The students' work will be submitted paperlessly (we
plan anyway) but print resources/books are being found
"helpful" by students (to their amazement) since they
don't have to make traditional note cards.

Hopefully, the process will serve them well. It's not
revolutionary but sometimes it takes "dynamite" to
change how a teacher designs a long-time research
project to include 21st-century students' own
techniques and all available resources so I am having
fun with this teacher and these kids!

Best, Sara Kelly Johns

http://www.eduref.org/plweb-cgi/fastweb?getdoc+listservs+LM_NET+202093+45+wAAA+Jacquie%26Henry