Ms. Royal,
  Please remember that just because a school board bans a book does not
mean that the school board's views are those of the general public.  We do
have some ignorant people in positions of power in this state, but doesn't
every state have its share of those? Do you think that every member of every
school board that has ever banned a book actually read the book?  That's not
just in Alabama, that's everywhere.
    I am an Alabamian that is fighting to see our reputation change, and I
think it is slowly getting better.  It saddens me that you feel the way that
you do, and that you would choose to post it on a list that goes worldwide.
You certainly have the right to your opinion, but we Alabamians are
constantly getting kicked down without having one of our own bashing us.  I
am sorry if I have offended you.  I just know that some people who read
your post are shaking their heads saying, "Those poor, ignorant, people in
Alabama."  We get so much bad press, I felt like I had to defend.

Miranda Ball
Director
Lawrence County Public Library
Lawrence County, Alabama