On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Janice Davies wrote:

> This article was posted on a local newspaper bulletin board.
>
> http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4429917/detail.html
>
> What is not entirely clear to me is whether or not the book was being taught in
>the classroom or if the boy just checked it out in the library. In my school
>system there is a much more stringent approval process to get a book approved for
>classroom use.
>
> I'd like to know other people's thoughts on this situation.

Since it is an elementary school, it seems unlikely this children's
book is being used as  a "textbook." It might be from the library. It
might be part of a classroom library or reading program that provides
supplemental books. Reading series often have a unit on families. But
you're right; it's impossible to tell from the article where it came
from or whether it was being used for direct instruction in any way.

Judging from the reviews I read, the book sounds rather innocuous tho
this parent, of course, would disagree.

I wonder if the district has a review policy; seems they should have
told the parent about it.

Question
Must an elementary teacher have children's lit titles approved before
using them as part of his/her instruction in your district??

J. Rathbun, Librarian
Mojave High School
Clark County School District
Las Vegas, Nevada
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org
http://ccsd.net/schools/mojave/library

Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary.