According to the Boston Globe report,

"For David Parker, the first alarm went off in January, when his 5-year-old
son came home from his kindergarten class at Lexington's Joseph Estabrook
School with a bag of books promoting diversity.

Inside were books about foreign cultures and traditions, along with food
recipes. There was also a copy of "Who's In a Family?" by Robert Skutch,
which depicts different kinds of families, including same-sex couples
raising children. The book's contents concerned Parker and prompted him to
begin a series of e-mail exchanges with school officials on the subject
that culminated in a meeting Wednesday night with Estabrook's principal and
district director of instruction. The meeting ended with Parker's arrest
after he refused to leave the school, and the Lexington man spent the night
in jail."

Full article
at:
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=109C8DCC8A420A8C&p_docnum=1

Nancy

At 11:23 PM 4/29/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Janice Davies wrote:
>
> > This article was posted on a local newspaper bulletin board.
> >
> > http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4429917/detail.html
> >
> > What is not entirely clear to me is whether or not the book was being
> taught in the classroom or if the boy just checked it out in the library.
> In my school system there is a much more stringent approval process to
> get a book approved for classroom use.
> >
> > I'd like to know other people's thoughts on this situation.
>
>Since it is an elementary school, it seems unlikely this children's
>book is being used as  a "textbook." It might be from the library. It
>might be part of a classroom library or reading program that provides
>supplemental books. Reading series often have a unit on families. But
>you're right; it's impossible to tell from the article where it came
>from or whether it was being used for direct instruction in any way.
>
>Judging from the reviews I read, the book sounds rather innocuous tho
>this parent, of course, would disagree.
>
>I wonder if the district has a review policy; seems they should have
>told the parent about it.
>
>Question
>Must an elementary teacher have children's lit titles approved before
>using them as part of his/her instruction in your district??
>

>J. Rathbun, Librarian
>Mojave High School
>Clark County School District
>Las Vegas, Nevada
>Email: jrathbun@orednet.org
>http://ccsd.net/schools/mojave/library
>
>Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary.

>All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
>To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
>In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/
>LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

Nancy J. Keane   nancy@nancykeane.com
"Using Literature in the Middle School Classroom" (Linworth, 2005)
;"Booktalks and Beyond" (Highsmith, 2001)
"Booktalking Across the Curriculum" (Libraries Unlimited, 2002) ;"Teaching
... Through Literature" (Linworth, 2002)
Rundlett Middle School 144 South Street  Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Recipient 2004 ALSC/Sagebrush Education Resources Literature Program Award
Recipient 2002 N.H.Excellence in  Education Award (EDies)
Host: Kids Book Beat television show
"Just For Kids" column - Concord Monitor newspaper
Booktalks Page  http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks
++++++Do the best you can and maintain a sense of humor++++++