Dear LM_NET colleagues

Apologies for revisiting email from Toni Buzzeo (25 and 26 July), but I'm only just
catching up as a new addition to this list.

The reference to "I'm really talking about collaboration in terms of leadership" and
"one-on-one with the Principal" rings true for Australian teacher librarians.

Two Australian national associations collaborated on the development of a 'Standards
of professional excellence for teacher librarians' - Australian Library and
Information
Association and the Australian School Library Association.

You can access this at
http://www.alia.org.au/policies/teacher-librarian.standards.html
of
http://www.asla.org.au/docs/TLstandards.pdf

The document is designed to assist teacher librarians to articulate what they do
well
within the school library, that adds value to the school community, to the
Principal.
There are three sections - Professional Knowledge, Professional Practice, and
Professional Commitment.  By utilising a SWOT analysis approach they are able to
identify their strenghts, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, but in a way that
assists
them to indicate clearly the difference they make to student learning and
achievement
and also indicate clearly areas of professional development that would help them to
achieve a higher level of excellence and contribution to the school environment.

The issue we are trying to avoid is for school administrators to use this document
as a
performance review.  That could be scary!

This document has been professionally challenging for all.

Regards
Karen Bonanno
ASLA Executive Officer
PO Box 155