Diane's statement freaks me out ...

"While I certainly understand Karen's statement about not being able to do the same
story for the
9th or 10th time in one week, I would like to caution non-tenured librarians from
deviating from
their lesson plan.  My first principal would have understood, my second principal
would have ripped
me apart.  Just something to keep in mind - we all have different styles of
teaching, and our
principals have different temperaments and personalities.  Try to determine if your
principal
understands flexibility before you end up "written up" for not following your
lesson plan !"

because, if I were teaching in the US the principal would be wasting all her time
"writing me up".
I cannot remember the last time I wrote a specific lesson plan, although I always
have a draft of
what I want to cover over the term.  For example, this term for Yrs 5-6 we are
investigating Where
is Palmerston?; some Year 3-4 are investigating What is Fiction? whilst the others
are building on
from having covered this last term and learning to do book reviews for publishing
on the Internet;
and my Kinders are just taking their first steps in Information Literacy by using
the clues in
pictures to help them learn more. But that is as prescriptive as it gets - the kids
decide the what
and the how, I just do the why.

But, always, always, I live by teaching the student not the subject, and I make
whatever changes
necessary or follow whatever relevant tangents the students raise during their
input throughout the
lesson.  We must have the flexibility to explore the 'teachable moments' without
fear of being in
bother with the principal or anyone else.  Now, admittedly, I have a few years'
experience under my
belt, and, with the power of Harry  Potter's wand, could probably teach a Y12 in an
emergency, and I
know many new teachers need the support of a detailed lesson plan, but to live in
fear of having to
stick to the printed word to avoid disciplinary action would be enough to tie
anyone in tangles.

If a principal was not wise enough to understand that teachers are not pre-wired
automatons, and
that students are not empty jugs waiting to be filled, then he/she has no right to
be a principal.
And I would be spending a great deal of my time, writing them up.  I am there to
guide my students'
learning and to meet their needs to take them forward, not appease the personality
and
administrative foibles of my principal.  And I would fight for that right, even if
it meant changing
jobs.

Barbara
(who is OVER over-zealous administrators who do not have a clue about library
matters, but still
believe they can have a say.  My hubby and I are about to build a little cottage in
the country to
move to when I retire next year.  I will save a fortune on construction materials
because I will be
able to break up all these soapboxes I have stood on during my career.)

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School
PALMERSTON ACT 2913