Hi Jo
Many have already written, especially from NJ, telling me about the compulsory need
for written
lesson plans and their submission to supervisors.  Thank goodness, in my state at
least, this was
deemed to be an insult to our professionalism in the 1980s and banned by the union.
 However, I
think it was about the same time that formal support mechanisms were put in place
for those who were
struggling.

As you say, this is a cultural issue and the roles of principals and the conditions
of employment
here are quite different.  But, as I said to Diane offlist, the outsider's
perspective can often
show that there are alternative ways to do things and if all I do is develop
awareness and generate
discussion, I am happy.   Even moreso, if it leads to better practices that mean
better outcomes for
the kids.

I dread the day that legislation such as NCLB comes here, which is probably why we
work so hard on
so many fronts to ensure that it doesn't so there is no need (or even perceived
need) for it.  That
doesn't mean our system is perfect, and there are some definitely dodgy deals going
down where
Federal funding is tied to the acceptance of some ludicrous legislation, but, at
least, our
employment is not at risk if we are outspoken.  I would have been fired years ago!
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School