In June my sister, Lydia,  was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor.  She
FINALLY has the surgery scheduled.  Prayers for her doctor's skill and a
complete recovery would be appreciated.  It has seemed like a very long
wait, but apparently this doctor has many patients.  He told her she might
be #2,000 that he has done this surgery as he was close to that number.  (I
asked if that meant it would be a free procedure!)  From the 'net it seems
that the biggest complication is if the tumor has messed up the ability of
the pituitary to make its secretions...if so, many body functions will be
affected.

I just spoke with her.  As the time is near, she is getting pretty nervous.
Her surgery will be at Methodist Hospital in Houston.  Another sister and I
are driving down after work on Tuesday to be with her family during the
surgery....back to DFW for work on Thursday.  The doctor told her today the
surgery takes 3-4 hours.  They will keep her in ICU for at least 48 hours.

..I just had to share with my libraray family.
Mary

Here are some web sites about her medical problem.

photo of surgery through nose
http://drjho.com/pituitary_surgery.htm

http://www.revoptom.com/handbook/SECT54a.HTM

http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/

photo of a tumor
http://pathweb.uchc.edu/eAtlas/CNS/243.htm

http://www.thedoctorsdoctor.com/diseases/pituitary_adenoma.htm

this site also says they are almost always benign.
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/radiosurgery/disorders/pituitary.cfm

http://www.iis.com.br/~jgcc/pitaden1.htm

http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic471.htm

http://pituitary.mgh.harvard.edu/e-f-933.htm

Mary Ludwick, Librarian         K-5 Elementary
Owen Elementary, The Colony, Texas (near Dallas)
ludwickm@lisd.net  (school address)
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)