Hello Everyone,

A short while back I posted a HIT of some great responses to my query about
3M vs. Checkpoint security systems.

Now there is another variable that I wasn't aware of then: RFID detection
systems.

Does anyone use RFID? Is this the wave of the future?

It seems to be the one 3M is pushing, but I'm not sure it's the best for
school libraries. There is no bar code needed, just the RFID tag that serves
as identifier and security device in one, so it is one-step checkout. Also,
the tags are easier to apply, since they aren't hidden, which represents a
time savings, important to me because I will be the only staff member in a
brand new library.

I'm wondering if it is more likely the tags will be torn off because they
are more visible. 3M's position is that any system will be by-passed if
someone wants to do it badly enough, and that we should be more concerned
with processing time - that is, we should adopt the perspective that
security is to deter those who forget, not those who intend to steal.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Sarah Woo
Library Teacher