Here are the responses I got.  I have a limited amount of time for the activity, so
I sliced and diced from these suggestions.  I'm going to have the students write
down interview questions during their regular library time.  I'll then create an
interview form for them to use with their grandparents on GP Day.  I'm also going
to create a Newbery/Caldecott display, arranged by decade, so the grandparents can
look at what won the year they were born.  And of course, the birthday book cart
will be prominently displayed!

Thanks to everyone for your help!  And I hope I got everyone--continued
internet/email problems at our school district are still causing me to miss emails.

You might ask about their favorite books as children.
You could also do a display of books that won the
Caldecott and Newbery through the years that many of
these people were born,
Mary, those are great ideas.  I am inviting grandparents to breakfast with their
grandchildren and then visit the book fair afterwards.  To make it manageable, we
will split the grade levels up so that Pre/K & Special Ed. comes one day, K, 1st,
2nd & 3rd over four other days.

If you can find an available blank bulletin board, could you maybe do something
with digital pictures?  Maybe do a bulletin board depicting pictures of
grandparents with their grandchildren and the book they donate (if you have some
for them to choose from).  Put one copy up on the bulletin board to attract
attention (maybe you can get some ahead of time so everyone can see what it would
look like), another copy laminate and tape inside front cover of the book, and then
give the grandparents a copy to keep.  This would be hard for you to do so you
would probably have to have someone to be the photographer.  I saw a great idea in
the October 2005 (fall) issue of Pac-o-Fun where a digital picture of a child was
placed on a hand-made paper penant.  Could do something like "Hip Hip
Hooray...We've Donated Books Today."  I you don't receive Pac-o-Fun, send me your
snail mail address and I'll copy and mail to you.
A school in Nebraska presented at our state technology conference on activities
that they did for Grandparent's Day.  They showed some of their final products and
I was very impressed!  First, they took lots of digital pictures and also
videotaped grandparents and their grandchildren.  They interviewed students (of all
ages) about what they liked about Grandparent's Day and then they interviewed the
grandparents about how things have changed, what they liked, etc.  Students (I
believe they were 5th graders) were placed in 3 groups to work on final products
when Grandparent's Day was over.  One group created a Power Point presentation, one
group created an Inspiration project, and one group created an iMovie.  Each group
used the digital pictures and clips from their videotaped interviews (they also
videotaped interactions, activities, etc.) in their final products.  They did a
great job - it was fun to see their finished products.  As far as activities, the
grandparents sat with their grandchild in the classroom and followed the daily
schedule with them.  I know they had a craft activity also.  Another fun thing to
do might be some kind of nonbake cookie recipe activity.  There are many recipes
that go along with books in the book called Book Cooks.  Most, if not all, of the
recipes in there are nonbake.  Good luck!!

I think the interview should be created by the grandchildren, not you,
what do you think?
As part of our upcoming LifeQuest Expedition, we will be asking students
to take part in an authentic learning experience.  With guidance from the
National Institute on Aging, we have created a health and wellness survey
that students can administer to seniors in their own communities.  The
data that they collect will be shared with aging experts as part of a
national research project.  We have piloted the LifeBridge Study (to be
renamed the Generation Bridge) with 6th graders who said that it was easy
to use, fun, and took, on average, 30 minutes to complete.  We believe it
is a study that could be administered by 4th grade students and up.  The
questionnaire asks for details like history of smoking, current health
status (in generalities) and diet, as well as time spent with friends and
family, doing volunteer work, etc...

If you are interested in learning more, please register at
www.bluezones.com (for free).  The LifeBridge Study is located in the
Educators Section, in the Classroom.

To look at the PDF, go to:
http://www.bluezones.com/pdf/lifebridge_survey.pdf

Linda Lindroth at Teaching K-8 pointed me to the National Grandparent's
Day organization - and I thought this might be of interest to you.  They
have some activities that may work for your students.

http://www.grandparents-day.net/

Mary Clark
Library Media Tech I
La Costa Meadows Elementary School