Greetings all.

Today was are first day back to school and besides the absolute disarray
left in the library by various building projects during the summer (even a
toilet in the library -- oh well) I was told that I would now have study
hall duty.  I have never had to do study halls since I have a flexible
schedule in the LMC and need to be available for teachers.  But now this
has changed.  The students will be assigned to study hall in the
library!!!  I know some of you have done this and I am hoping for words of
wisdom,.  Do you spend your time with the study hall kids or do you double
book yourself and work with classes at the same time.  The kids I have are
8th graders and the reason they have a study hall is they are not exactly
the cream of the crop. They need a lot of supervision.  Also, do you allow
drop-ins from other study halls that need the LMC or do you close to
walk-ins.  I may have one library aid available to help me but at this
point, they too have been assigned study hall duties.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Nancy
Day one and already discouraged!  182 to go.

Nancy J. Keane   nancy@nancykeane.com
"Middle School Pathfinders" (2005);"Using Literature in the Middle School
Classroom" (2005) ;"Booktalking
Across the Curriculum" (2002) ;"Teaching ... Through Literature"
(2002);"Booktalks and Beyond" (2001)
Rundlett Middle School 144 South Street  Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Recipient 2004 ALSC/Sagebrush Education Resources Literature Program Award
Recipient 2002 N.H.Excellence in  Education Award (EDies)
Host: Kids Book Beat television show
"Just For Kids" column - Concord Monitor newspaper
Booktalks Page  http://www.nancykeane.com/booktalks
++++++Do the best you can and maintain a sense of humor++++++