When I had the grade school, students even up to grade 8 used them.  They
liked the idea that they could create something for themselves and that  it
helped me a lot to keep the shelves straight.  I explained that when the
shelves got too  messy, it was hard on everyone, including themselves to
find what they wanted.  The shelf markers helped  everyone.  They got quite
creative as they got older.  I even had a couple  who brought in older
markers they had decorated to  show  them to me - So I did a little display
of  them. Quite  neat.

I did not, however, remind older students. Usually their peers did that, by
reminding each other that if a book wasn't put back where it belonged,
everyone else would be upset.