We have always maintained a list of book for our College bound students.
The 9th grade advanced English teacher and I keep the list up-to-date;
adding and deleting titles.

With another year of students "whining" about hating to read, wanting
the shortest book possible, and a recent post that made me have an "ah
moment."

I went through my fiction collection, tilting down the titles I thought
might spark an interest in our non-readers.  The English teacher just
had to peruse those titles then.  Toting my laptop around the library
with me I entered them into a spreadsheet program so we could re-sort
the list.  What we ended up with is a very eclectic list of reading
materials that features shorter books with great titles and of course
great stories we thought might pique the interest of our reluctant
readers.

Out in my display area are some of these titles, which are already
garnering some attention.

Since this list might be of interest to a few of you, I posted it to my
college class webpage so you could go get it.  Remember it is an Excel
document so we could manipulate the information by author or title.  I
also posted the college bound list for those interested in that list.

http://www.selah.k12.wa.us\JHS\Gustafson\EDCS_578\books.htm

Jean

R. Jean Gustafson
Teacher/Librarian