Since it's getting close to the holiday break for everyone and we've pretty much
cussed and discussed this (privately and openly), I wanted to give you the
break-down of the discussion (if you can call it a break-down).

The idea that audio books can be considered "real reading" is divided down the
center among librarians, it seems.  Many have chosen to describe the techniques of
decoding words and state that only through print can students truly "read."  Others
have stated that with the use of audio tapes, many students are able to comprehend
and complete texts that they would never be able to "read" in print.

Privately, I have had several individuals tell me of their personal encounters with
their students, their children, or themselves---all tell me how audio books have
opened doors that would have never been available to them or their students /
children if books had not been available in audio format.  Several of you have also
stated that you enjoy "reading" audio books in order to keep up with the
literature---especially on those morning and evening commutes to and from school.

While I understand most of the points made and the arguments presented, I believe
that when a student CAN read but does NOT read because of limited time during the
day, an audio book could be squeezed into the picture to keep the student involved
with some of the best literature at that moment in their lives.  I would certainly
never use audio books with beginning readers for instruction in print reading, but
I would allow students who are non-readers or pre-readers to use audio books to
become excited about literature, the spoken word, and the books that contain those
wonderful stories that are being described on tape.

The discussions about hearing a baseball game being equated to "reading the game"
or restricting students from using audio books with reading program testing reminds
me of why we need to better understand how our students learn and why we need to
make information (for research or entertainment) available to them in the formats
that best serve their needs at that moment in time.

For example, my students NEED TIME to read. I can't give them time. They are
capable of reading; they can read anything; they are highly intelligent; but they
are over-scheduled by parents who want them to be involved in every activity that
takes up every spare minute of the day.  I can serve them best by meeting their
NEEDS through audio books (via their iPods, cassettes, CDs, etc.).  Other students
in other schools may NEED to use audio books because the tedious task of reading
print will never be accomplished due to disabilities, ESL, or other issues that
cannot be solved in a school year alone. They learn to hate books because they
aren't fun or entertaining, they are work. Audio books make the print become
secondary to the meaning of the story being told. They make the literature at that
MOMENT in time available to that student when it is needed.

This is a tough decison for many who refuse to allow students to use / access audio
books in their libraries (I personally know four librarians who refuse to purchase
audio books for their libraries because it is "cheating.")  Perhaps for them it is
cheating. Perhaps for them it's too easy---but it's not easy for everyone and THAT
is the true situation to consider.

Even Ranganathan would probably allow for audio books if the disabled / dyslexic /
"hurried-child" reader was unable to have "his book".....(do you remember.....?)

Five Laws of Library Science

Books are for use
Every reader his/her book
Every book, its reader
Save the time of the reader
A library is a growing organism
                   ----Shiyali Ramamrita Ranganathan

http://www.slais.ubc.ca/courses/libr517/03-04-wt2/projects/ranganathan/contri.htm

"Saving the time of the reader" also means making the information available in the
format that allows the reader to take the information in a timely fashion---not
necessarily in the method mandated by the librarian in charge at that time.

"The library is a growing organism" and through the growth of an organism, things
evolve, change, and often become more advanced. (technology?)

So I guess, I have to conclude that the path to literacy isn't always the hardest
path or the longest path...sometimes it's just a "different path."  Which reminds
me of my favorite poem when I make those decisions that "go against the grain"---

...."Two roads diverged in a wood and I---
         I took the one less traveled by,
      And that has made all the difference."  ~ Robert Frost

Thanks for your insights!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays...and a Safe New Year to All!!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX

"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing
the impossible."
 ~St. Francis of Assisi
sbrisco@fwcds.org
http://www.fwcds.org/campus/libraries/default.asp