My sincere apologies for the delay in posting this hit. Thanks to all who
contributed to this discussion.

AMY PALAIA, LMS
2Rivers Magnet Middle School
East Hartford, CT 06108
apalaia@crec.org
Original Post:

Dear LM_Net,

Do any of you set aside "reading time" as part of your workday.  I do booktalks
quite often, and I am finding that I am usually doing the bulk of that work at home
(reading, and writing the talks).  I am on a flex schedule here.

I was not sure if that was a justifiable use of my time, and I was wondering if
anyone else did do this.  If so, how many hours per week?

AMY PALAIA, LMS
2Rivers Magnet Middle School
East Hartford, CT 06108
apalaia@crec.org
I think it is a perfectly appropriate use of a librarian's time, within
moderation, of course.  And at the rare times when I have finished what
a classes needs to do, I think it is a good example for them to see me
reading, so when they have some reading time, I try to read, too.
Yes.  There are days when the books pile up way to high and I need all the time I
can get.  If someone sees me read and ask me about it, I just look at them and
reply: "it's part of my job.".  I look at it as a classroom teacher grading papers
or reading the next chapter of the textbook to prepare for tomorrow's lesson.  I am
preparing for my lesson and if it involves reading at my desk-so be it.
I'd like to see a hit on this one.  Wish I could do this on the job.
I only do it during my lunch (which I eat in the media center) to model
some reading for the students. Teachers have papers to grade at home and
I have books to read.
I think if a teacher sees you reading during the school day, it gives the
wrong impression, as if you don't have any "work" to do.  You and I know
that isn't the case, but others won't take the time to ask why you're
reading while they're busy teaching.
I don't have a set time for reading, but I do read during the day when I
don't have classes or pressing business to take care of.  As long as I'm
reading something for my booktalks or something else for my library, I
count it as time well spent.
I Wish!!!
I wish! The only time I ever had that was when the library was being
painted and I had to take every last book out for a couple of weeks.
That was in 1992 and I plan to resign if 'they' suggest it needs
repainting. So I do my reading at home.
Hi,

I do it as part of the Research Paper course I teach to 10th graders.  We have free
reading for the first 7 minutes of class; I have 2 classes.
I don't build time into my schedule (also flex) as I
want be available when I am here.  I always keep
something handy so I can read when I have time.  We
recently instituted school wide SSR (sustained silent
reading) - 1/2 hour Wednsday mornings.
Classroom teachers take home tests and papers to grade; I take home YA
books to read. I think I get the better end of that deal.

And it keeps the TV remote out of my hands; an even better perk

Rough tracking: 7-15 hrs a week - 1-2 pages a minute:
This is an interesting questins.  I had a freshman asked me during
orientation last week, after I gave book talks, "So...they just pay you to
read books?".  I wish!  I have a seminar class that is college bound reading
and I model by reading with my students, otherwise, it's homework.
Amy, I am in an elementary school, and on a fixed schedule so my time during the
day is different than yours, but many times when the students are reading at the
end of their class time after they have checked out I will sit down with them and
read a new book. It demonstrates that I value the time to read and I am  modeling
for them. Other than that I rarely have time to read at school so they come home
with me!