I did a Hans Christian Andersen program for 3-8 yr olds to celebrate his birthday
last year.  I have several files I can send in addition to these notes.  Just email
me off-list and I will send.  If you use the Princess and the Pea Reader's Theatre,
please give credit to me and to my source.  Thanks!

Games:
Mermaid, Mermaid, Sea Monster! (like Duck, Duck, Goose) (Even my TEENAGERS like to
play this!)
"The Ugly Duckling Says" (like "Simon Says")

Crafts:
The Princess and the Pea
Materials:
* Newspaper to cover tables
* White paper, 8-1/2 x 11" with drawing of princess printed at the top and bed
frame at the bottom.
* Pre-cut strips of construction paper and paper from wallpaper sample book,
1/2-3/4" x 4-1/2"
* Dried split peas (purchased; $ .50)
* Glue sticks
* Crayons

Instructions:
1. Color the bed frame and the princess.
2. Glue a dried split pea just above the footboard on the bed.
3. Glue a strip of paper over it.
4. Glue strips of paper all the way up to the princess.

Ugly Duckling-related Craft: "This is Me Today" and "This is Me When I Was Little"
(child draws the appropriate pictures of him/herself)

Cindy Rider
School Liaison Program Librarian
Vigo County Public Library
Terre Haute, IN
crider@vigo.lib.in.us
http://www.vigo.lib.in.us

"If we didn't have libraries, many people thirsty for knowledge would dehydrate."
(Megan Jo Tetrick, age 12, Daleville, Indiana)

The Vigo County Public Library is "easy to find. It's the million-story building at
Seventh and Poplar streets." (Lori Henson in her "Briefcases" column, Terre Haute
Tribune-Star, 10/8/02)

>>> Susan Voracek <VORACE_S@LINCOLN.EDU.AR> 2/2/2005 12:42:57 PM >>>
Anyone have any Hans Christian Anderson activities, website, or library
lessons.  I understand it is his 200th birthday in April.  I have 3rd
grade teachers asking for ideas.

Thanks

Susan Voracek

Elementary/Middle School Librarian