I would suggest that you go to www.lexile.com
This is not a marleting ploy --
The Lexile Framework was developed by MetaMetrics, Inc., an independent education
company focused on using technology to bridge assessment and instruction, after 15
years of research funded by the National Institutes of Health. It has since become
the most widely adopted reading measure in use today, applicable across the
curriculum and at home. Tens of thousands of books and tens of millions of articles
have Lexile measures, hundreds of publishers Lexile their materials and all major
standardized tests can report student reading scores in Lexiles.

Vicki Sherouse <vsherouse@MCPS.K12.MT.US> wrote:
What is off is not the lexile level (though they are not perfect), but the reading
levels. Reading levels correspond to nothing accurate--not grade, not vocabulary,
not maturity. Go to the lexile.com site and read about what lexiles are and are not
to understand when and where they should be used. And finally, no computer
generated score for book or student, beats a well read, well informed teacher or
librarian's professional knowledge of reading levels appropriate for students.

>>> LINDA SLACUM 02/02/05 02:34PM >>>
Colleagues,
In addition to being a LOT of work, I don't get it. I have a chart that compares
lexile levels to reading levels. The lexile 800 is found in grades 3 through 8! I
understand that lexile considers syntax and sentence length, but how can the 800
level be appropriate for both 3rd & 8th graders? I know there are 3rd graders
reading on an 8th grade level and visa versa, but content/subject matter is vastly
different for these levels. Please don't flame me, but I feel Lexile is a marketing
ploy and some in the education community has bought into it. In my humble opinion,
reading levels are much more understandable to students and parents. As a parent,
if my 8th grade student is reading on an 8th grade level, I can be proud. But can I
be proud if my 8th grade student is reading on the 800 lexile level? Or should I be
concerned? Just my 2¢.

Linda
===============================
Mrs. Linda Slacum, Librarian
Cherry Hill Middle School
2535 Singerly Road
Elkton, MD 21921
lslacum@ccps.org
http://www.ccps.org/chms/index.html
http://media.ccps.org/ccemo/index.html

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Notice: This e-mail may contain confidential information belonging to the sender
which is privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, delete it without copying it and immediately
notify the sender by reply e-mail. Thank you.
<<<< GWAVASIG >>>>

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214