Thanks to those who responded.  I didn't get that many replies to the following
question:

I'd like to know how Reference is taught to Grades 3 - 5?  I don't have

much time.  I have a total of 30 minutes and the students need to check

out books during that time as well.  Any help is appreciated!

Hi Cindy. Don’t know if you’ve seen this book before or not, but I think it’s
“Lesson Plans for Busy Librarians” by Joyce Keeling. Amazon had it the last time I
checked. There are plenty of lessons and reproducibles for K-5 and, in my opinion,
the lessons are easily modified to fit your timeframe.

 It’s a little expensive (I think $35), but it’s the best money I’ve spent, and
it’s saved my sanity like you wouldn’t believe!

Spend about 20 minutes on the ref. project, leaving the last 5 to 10

minutes for checking out their books, which is plenty of time for most

kids--and too much for others.

I do a general "What is reference?" overview:

     Refer.........

     (And if you do real world spelling:

     Eeeeeesay to spell - all the vowels are es)

Then each week I go over a different type:

     dictionary

       different types of dictionaries: biographical,

etc

     encyclopedia

       different types of enc - animal, science, etc

     atlas

     almanac

     and so on

It's very superficial.  If I can get teachers back

when the students are actually using these materials,

I go into them in greater depth.

Cindy Lund Moreno, Elementary Librarian
Loretto Academy Elementary
El Paso, Texas