They are dying, but that doesn't mean they should be. I shudder to think
what handwriting will look like after years of only using computer, the
PDA's graffiti function, and so on. Wasn't cursive designed to make writing
by hand faster than printing? I must admit that I know one older person (my
80 yo dad) whose handwriting is so bad that he's printed for years, and can
print as fast as I can use cursive, if not faster, but most people I know
can write faster in cursive, if they haven't let their skills in that area
dry up.

As for alphabetizing, Internet or not, that is a skill that the working
world still uses in many areas (filing, stocking, shelving, looking up phone
numbers) and one that kids will still need to know in the foreseeable
future. (Filing? Yep. Yeah, I know, the computer was supposed to produce a
paperless society. Ha!!)

Betty Winslow, Media Center Director
BGCA
Bowling Green, OH