I think there are a couple of issues related to this thread.

First, do we buy materials only to support the curriculum, or do we buy
materials for that, and to stimulate reading and meet our students interests
as well?  And how much do we lean in either direction?  I have always felt
that while my primary role is curriculum support, my second function is to
meet the recreational and intellectual curiosity needs of my students.  So
yes, I include materials that have no (or very little) educational value,
simply because my students want them, read them, and are interested in them.

Second, do we select, or do we censor?  I like to think that I select
materials, rather than censor them.  However, I also have to remember that
in a school library, I stand in place of a parents.  (We even call in "in
loco parentis.)  That is why, in the school, I have not only the right, but
the responsibility, to decide what is appropriate for the interest,
maturity, and age levels of my students.  I would not have this right or
responsibility in a public library - in a school library, I do.  And, since
I don't personally know all my parents, and where they stand on various
issues, I try to be more aware of and sensitive to these issues than I would
if I were selecting only for my own children.  (Who, incidentally, were not
only allowed, but encouraged, to read about anything they could get their
hands on, and who have turned out to be intelligent, literate AND
well-balanced adults.)  So, in my school, I tend to be more conservative
than I am in my personal life, and to walk a fine line of providing for
students interests and needs, while keeping the wishes and needs of their
parents in mind as well.  In the end, there is no easy answer to either of
these questions, and we all have to do the best we can to balance between
the conflicting issues.

Linda Lucke
Learning Center Director
Butterfield School
Libertyville, IL
Llucke@d70.k12.il.us

Happy are those who have learned to laugh at themselves, for they shall
never lack for amusement!