The independent school where I've just started working this
year has required all the 9th graders to have laptops
(specific ones choosen by the school and bundled with
software required for our school's needs) and each incoming
class will have them until the whole school has laptops. We
are working in a wireless environment. One of the issues
this year with the 9th graders is that not only do they have
to have textbooks (at least 6 and most are heavy) they still
need notebooks and on top of that the have to carry their
laptops. The administration and the board is looking into
textbooks on CD or online but the companies that meet our
requirements don't all have texts on CD or online or it's
not the whole textbook.
Another issue is the kids misusing their computers by using
email, IM, music and games during class and just minimizing
it when a teacher walks by (AUP violation and then honor
code violation) and how to address this useand time
management issue.
We have teachers, who bless their souls are still getting
over the shock of not using ditto masters :), no, not
really, most of teachers are getting pretty good with
powerpoint and using the laptops with smartboards but a lot
of the work/lessons are still the dittos put into
technology.
I understand that in the next few years some of this will be
worked out or addressed at all teaching levels around the
world but right now this is so new. I have some strong
opinions about teaching the kids the right way to manage
time and email and IM, part of character education, things I
teach anyway in my library "curriculum" but some others in
my school have a very different opinion - punishment for not
being on task. I think we're living in a very different
world and culture and another major change is about to
happen in education with technology use.
Any opinions, experiences especially would be appreciated

Franci Jefferson
Kirkwood Library Upper School
The Benjamin School
Palm Beach Gardens, FL