Thanks to the generosity of our Drama Advisor, I can give you an example of
what it costs to get rights to put
on a high school play.  I think many teachers would be surprised.    I'm in
a 9-12 high school, student population roughly 550, and we plan to put on a
musical this spring.  The contract with the licensing company breaks down
like this:

License fee:
$1,100.00
   stipulates a non-exclusive license for an AMATEUR production of the
musical.
   specifies the THREE exact dates of THREE performances.
   specifies the size type for crediting the authors of the book, music, and
lyrics
        in all programs, houseboards, displays, advertising and publicity.
   specifies which logo can be used on any advertising (popular film version
      logo is property of a movie studio, and can't be used.)
   limits seating capacity to 400 per performance
   specifies ticket prices must be between $6.00 and $8.00
Rental fee:
$525.00
    covers music that MUST be returned to the company in good condition:
                    1 piano/conductor's score
                  18 chorus books
                  6 orchestral parts
                2 tenor saxophone parts
                  2 guitar parts
                1 drums part
                1 bass part
Rental Deposit:
$300
Purchased Materials:
$252.50
     covers 30 libretti
+__________________
              10 chorus books
$2177.50

The contract goes on to stipulate that no other materials can be
incorporated in the production, no changes or deletions will be made in the
play, no audio or videorecordings will be made, you will furnish 2 copies of
the program to them (to verify type size of authors' names?) rental
materials will be returned, prepaid and insured no later than three days
after the last performance, etc., etc., etc.

And you will notice that the over two thousand dollars does NOT include
posters, costumes, sets, or anything else that goes into this massive
undertaking!

        Copyright and licensing is SERIOUS business.... I can see how it makes many
wonderful ideas unaffordable, but I would NOT play songs over the PA
lightly, or attempt a public performance of a script illegally.

                Good luck!

                Bonnie

   || Bonnie Fulmer, |  Librarian       ||
   ||                      |  High School     ||
   ||      fulmerb@hs.sufsd.dcboces.org ||