First I want to thank the person who posted the administration viewpoint on
this issue. Sorry can't quote name, deleted message before I meant to.) I
appreciated reading that post and looking at the issue from another side. I
do sometimes forget that while my library program is the most important
thing to me, that my administrator can't always take that view. I took that
message as a good reminder of the whole picture.

Second; I don't think we can every fully settle this issue. If it were
clear black and white we could but it just isn't. If it is censorship to
not allow materials in our libraries, we would have to accept EVERYTHING,
and none of us can do that. Too tight a selection policy runs the risk of
not having a balanced collection, not serving the FULL needs of our
clients. As a high school, I do buy the gaming magazines, skateboard
magazines as well as some music titles that another library would not buy.
I also don't put out the Sports illustrated swimsuit issue.

In my situation, book store selection and public library availability is
different. We don't have B&N in the community. The public library (acutally
base library) has a very different mission than a public library will in
the states so I feel that I do need to cover the more recreational
materials for my students.

Thank you for the reminder to look at balance of the collection, to
consider making sure I don't get too selective from my personal viewpoint,
and to remember that I may have to diplomatically explain my selections to
some of my public.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany