I think inclusion needs to be broken down into issues like multiple points of view,
completeness, and balance. All done within the
constraints of space and budget.  If we have SI on the shelf for its audience AND
have Football weekly, Hockey News, etc; are we now
prevented  from having Couch Potato Monthly, TVGuide, Mother Jones, Linux Geeks
Weekly, and World Wide Cooking available for their
specific audiences? Any of which could fit into the 'it brings non-readers into the
library'

Part of the issue of why we are not providing them may be because they don't show
up in lists of materials in other libraries or not
in review journals and are not aware of the choices; or the audience may be
alienated from library use since their interests aren't
represented and thus don't provide input about the need.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School, Vancouver WA
Pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu
beiffert.net

Brent Bradley wrote:
<snip>
>I realize that the point of censorship is to 'exclude' and the point of selection
>is to 'include,'
> but the problem is that in 'including' one must choose to exclude. Exclusion does
>not tell us what >to include, but what we must
leave out of collections. They are not two sides of the same coin, they >are
fundamentally different ways of viewing the world and
what it offers us.
<snip>