From time to time,  teachers assign students a unit topic with  a
print resource requirement excluding encyclopedias.  Although I  take this
to mean excluding World Book, Britannica, etc., the teachers often mean  any
reference books in a series.

Our library holds (as we all do) some great 3-, 4-, 5-book or more  reference
sets from Gale and other quality sources, but at times
the teachers feel these are too "encyclopedic".  They prefer that the
students
find information in a single book, but the collection being what it is, I
can't
have expensive up-to-date multi-volume sets AND a single non-fiction  book
on every topic under the sun.  So at times the students use a single  book
source with a minor reference to their topic to fulfill their book  citation
requirement,  rather than a multi-volume reference book  with 4-5 pages on
the same topic, because the multi-volume seems to be in a gray
"encyclopedia" area (even when the sets are not identified as
encyclopedias).

Have you had to argue the distinction between traditional  encyclopedias
and reference sets?  Or are they really the same and I am off  base?

Thanks -
Steve

Steve  Patnode
Grades 7-12 SLMS