Have you had to argue the distinction between traditional  encyclopedias
and reference sets?  Or are they really the same and I am off  base?

I'm with you Steve. I had to work this out carefully with the teachers. For
the last two months, as I have been doing US and World history papers with
7's and 8's, I have explained that "specialized" encyclopedias--esp. those
with the word encyclopedia in the title are multi-volume sets we put in
reference but they are completely different from encyclopedias the teachers
refer to when excluding them for use. We still use World Book etc for
background, and to gether pertinent keywords, dates, important people for
our topic.  A 22 volume set that has only science and technology, for
instance, is much more detailed and complex than Encarta.  It is a reference
book set and the encyclopedia in its name means it is comprehensive in that
subject.  Same for Biographical encyclopedias, Ency of 19th century US, etc.
One can hope that the teachers involved could take a look at the ones you
are offering and see that they are good. What's more, most kids really don't
want an entire book on [whatever]because it's just too much, even if you
could provide it. At least at the middle schoool level that's overwhelming.
Even the Britannica gets pretty involved, but I think the teachers are not
accepting it as "one of your six sources" and definitely not to be quoted
from (at least for 7's and up).

Maureen S. Irwin
Library Director
Rye Country Day School