Call for Manuscripts for English Journal (NCTE) March 2006 issue
Reading, Writing, and Re-presenting Research
Deadline: July 15, 2005.

Here's a great opportunity to promote the librarian's role in the
educational process!
From the issue description:
"English teachers value the teaching of research concepts and methods.
Traditionally, we have translated that value into "the research paper
unit," a rite of passage dreaded by teachers and students alike. Yet,
tradition has been challenged in the past several years, especially by
innovative forms of presentation, such as I-Search papers, multigenre
research papers, and multimedia projects, that allow students to
reveal what they have discovered about their chosen topic. State and
national standards reaffirm the importance of research methods but do
not dictate form. The proliferation of types of information available
on the Internet also challenges the traditional content and
presentation of "the research paper." We are interested in knowing how
you address the challenges. How do you teach secondary school students
to read and present research? What concepts and skills do you teach?
What innovative means of presentation have students used? How does the
form of the presentation shape the content of the project? How do you
help students read and evaluate the material they see on the Internet?
How do you approach the topic of plagiarism in ways that students
understand with strategies they can use to avoid it? What do you teach
students about copyright, and how do they use that knowledge? In what
ways are research and researching addressed throughout the curriculum?
If you have worked with other teachers in your building or district to
design a developmental sequence of research competencies, what does
that look like and how does it work? How do you consider cultural and
linguistic diversity in designing research assignments? How have you
used technology?"

For submission information:
http://www.englishjournal.colostate.edu/infoforauthors.htm#articles

--
Alice Yucht, aka Alice in InfoLand
Library Management / Information Skills consultant, writer, and presenter

"We may be service-oriented, but we don't have to be servants."