This is my day for questions. This question has come up. Since I no longer
file catalog cards in the card catalog I am a little rusty as to the exact
AACR2 "Rule". I did have cataloging but a very long time ago, my more
recent training is in doing MARC records. The reference books I have do not
address this, I have abridged Dewey, and  "Common Sense Cataloging" most
recent editions.

In filing Alphabetically by Author (cards or actual books) what is the
AACR2 rule concerning Authors whose last names begin Mc?

I know they are filed separately.  I seem to remember that if the author is
Mac they go in ABC order.

One reason for the question -- books coming pre processed with author such
as Anne McCaffrey have spine label Mac

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany