physical education & health related books, periodicals, videos, websites
for
teachers and students - fiction & non-fiction:, here are the responses:

1.  I think you'll be spoilt for choice at these pages
http://www.shambles.net/physicaleducation/
http://www.shambles.net/nurse/

2.  I recently added two sets of books to my sports section. Crabtree
Press has a set of books called Sports in Action (ie. Volleyball,
Basketball, Hockey, Baseball, Golf etc...) The other set is from Compass
Point books called Sports for Fun(Swimming, Soccer, Football, etc...) Both
sets are colorful with great graphics and examples of how to's etc... If
you need more information let me know and I will get
it for you.

In my health section I have a series on How Your Body Works put out by
Gareth Stevens with individual books on muscles and bones, blood, brain,
digestive system, lungs, and senses. I also have a set called Exploring
Your Senses also put out by Gareth Stevens. There is a book for each
sense, good pictures and few words. A mom donated Babar's Yoga for
Elephants which uses Babar to show the different positions etc...

In the fiction area I highly recommend Dan Gutman's Million Dollar books
each is about a different sport (basketball, soccer, bowling and  the last
one escapes me but it's another sport) They are well written and in the
story the reader learns all kinds of hints on how to improve etc...
without being hit over the head with the information. Matt Christopher
keeps coming out with more chapter and beginning chapter sport related
books.

I recently updated my collection using videos from this company.
The prices our good and they offer shelf ready processing for a good price.
http://www.libraryvideo.com/

Go to health and then you can see the topics that support your curriculum
to order, along with setting the grade level.

3.  We get the magazine Athletic Coach (not sure of title--let me know if
not correct--I'm at home just now) which our staff  use in coaching after
school. One teacher asked us to order it and offered to copy the table of
contents each month and put them in other coachs' mail boxes. He seems
satisfied with it.

We own a video on the Human Machine, a half hour which our health teacher
really liked and said he would actually use with his classes. It's one of
the Eyewitness videos. Again not sure of title, but can verify.

There is a new encyclopedia out on diseases, by Grolier, which I am
planning to buy to update our very old reference health section.

Janice Kowalski-Kelly
LMS,Cleveland Hill Elem.
pani@olm1.com