Hello,
I have a few people ask me to post a hit for purchasing software for our computer
lab for grades PreK-2   I was looking for interactive software that supports
academics such as ABC's, letter sounds, reading, math, etc.  I do not want Kid pix,
drawing, graphic organizers, or creative software.

I have the Starfall internet site (www.starfall.com) especially good for this grade
level.  I also user the reader rabbit series of software.

For K and 1st (we don't have Pre-K), we use Number Munchers, Letterbugs Get Ready
to Read, and Read, Write, Type (an intro to keyboarding).  Number Munchers and
Letterbugs are both available through Sunburst - they usually have great prices on
packs of 10.

My students and teachers in this grade level, and teachers of older
students as well have really liked Stationery Studio.

http://www.fablevision.com/education/products/stationerystudio.html

  It is a program that makes interesting papers for writing as well as penmanship
practice, and computer writing.  There are over 100 general templates that can then
be customized.  You can establish the style,
number, and spacing of the lines for writing or typing and the size of the letters
printed out.  The location of the lines and drawing areas can be set as all lines,
lines at the top/drawing space at the bottom, or lines at the bottom/drawing space
at the top. Standard manuscript, a D'Nealian style manuscript, cursive, and several
"funky style fonts" are available with both manuscript styles and the cursive also
printable as dotted line letters for penmanship practice.  Pages can be printed in
color, greyscale, or B&W line art for students to color.
These choices are all available to use for computer typing, then printing, or to
print out and use for handwriting with pen or pencil.  Students have found all
sorts of wonderful fun things to do with this software, teachers have used it for
student assignments, and to cut out and compile as shape books.  In addition,
teachers in higher grades have used it just to perk up school/home communications.
They have asked that we buy a bigger license that we can have more access than just
on these selected computers.

My teachers like A to Zap, Bailey's Book House, Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom, Math
Blasters and  Sammy Science.

We love http://www.starfall.com

We purchased JumpStart Preschool, Jumpstart K, Jumpstart 1st grade, and Jumpstart
2nd grade.  They cover all of the areas you mentioned.  You could most likely get a
trial copy.

Thank you  to all who sent me responses.

Julie Feenaughty
Greenwood Elementary Middle School
Greenwood, NY  14839
School Librarian & computer teacher