Here at the comments I received regarding this issue.  There are items
in the archives too.  Sara

This is the url for the archives:
<http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/>.  I just searched using the
term 'coffee' and got over 700 hits.

I did sell coffee for a few weeks to my students.  I am in a 7-12
small
school.  Coffee with the flavored creamers was a big success.
However,
teachers then complained that I was providing too much stimulants to
the
students even though a coke machine was just outside for students to
receive the same amount of caffeine!  I would recommend it - but it
also
depends on the weather on how much you sell.  I am in a warm climate
(south Texas) and it only sold well on cold days.

I love what you are trying to do, but be careful.  Maybe your state
isn't
as strict as New York, but our State Ed Laws specify what can and
cannot be
available to students during the school day.  Anything with caffeine is
big no-no, which is why soda machines in the building cannot operate
during
the school day. (Ours are set on timers to only work from 3:00 pm
until
midnight every day, except the one in the faculty room.)  I'm not sure
if
de-caf might be a loophole!  You might need to confine yourself to
fruit
smoothies or Snapple.
        The other thing you might need to worry about is your
cafeteria's food
service director.  Ours goes ballistic at anything that might cut into
their
profits, as they have to be financially self-supporting, and they
barely
make it as it is.  Be aware that you might be viewed as "competition,"
which
may or may not be a problem in your district.
        Those are the only two landmines I know of...but I've never
tried what you
are suggesting.  Let us know how you make out, and good luck!

We have a machine in the library that has cappuccino. Mocha, hot
chocolate, latte etc.  The machine takes change and we are charging
.50
a cup.  The user has to put the cup on the machine - but other than
that
it is automated.  Lids are provided to help control the mess. Right
now
it is a service - not a fundraiser - but  if we want to fill the
machine
we can make up to .12 a cup.  It brought a teacher to the library who
had not checked out a book in 17 years.  Students may us the machine
before or after school (7:30 am - 8:10 am) and (3:45- 4:00 pm).
Teachers may use it anytime.  We allow a few exceptions for students.

I just finished having a "coffee house" in the library.  I invited
students by Panther Center (our "study hall" block) to get a pass to
come down for coffee and listen to book talks.  They seemed to enjoy
it,
and the mess was minimal.  I did start with free coffee and hot
chocolate, but that was EXPENSIVE!  Next time I will maybe sell them
drinks and cookies for a quarter.

I periodically have special booktalks for my 10 - 12th graders, which I
call
"Barnes & Noble" days. I wait until the English teachers want to bring
their
students in for a free reading book (usually at the end of a unit, or
before a
winter/spring vacation)
Then I pull all the latest & greatest titles out and arrange them in
displays
with colorful signs on the table, such as "Chick-lit," "Guys Read,"
"Bestsellers," "Award Winners,"   etc...

I made a big poster for my easel which says, "Today's Special: Hot
Chocolate
or Gourmet Tea with any Check-out" I cut a construction paper graphic
of a
giant steaming coffee cup and cut-out letters.

Another table was set up with two 30-cup hot water pots and paper cups,
hot
chocolate (by the scoop), marshmallows (VERY crucial) and a variety of
teas and
flavored cream. I got my cups ahead of time from holiday markdowns -
but our
dollar store has a good deal, too.
I decided against coffees on the advice of our health teachers, and a
wish
not to upset parents.

I spend 10 minutes, or so talking up a few titles, then let them browse
with
their drink. The kids are amazingly respectful and appreciative. Even
with
carpet, I have never had them spill anything. My circulation is off the
charts
and now most every teacher schedules a Barnes & Noble day. It even
fostered an
informal Friday Morning book group, where I allow them to bring their
own
beverage and we take turns with food.
You will really enjoy doing something like this.