Thank you to all those that responded about whether or not short stories are a
"genre," and if there are specific "teaching points" when students read short
stories.  I know it will be helpful to our 5th grade teachers!

short stories do have specific teaching points: setting, characters,
theme, plot, etc.--the basics of any fiction story.
  Teachers could also look at point of view (have students rewrite stories
from another character's p.o.v.).
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I have not heard of specific general points but in my former life as an
English teacher I taught Poe and he had very specific parameters. I don't
know if I remember them but the action must be completed in 24 hours. I
believe he placed a 45 hundred word limit and there were a couple of others
I am really vague but I don't remember other writers holding to that.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
These might be useful:
Teacher background reading:
http://mzbworks.home.att.net/what.htm What is a short story? (Marion Zimmer
Bradley)
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1983/3/83.03.09.x.html#b Elements
of the short story (Kathleen Dinneen and Maryanne O'Connor)
Adopt or adapt teaching strategies
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/download/britlit/britlit.shtml BritLit :
Using short stories in the classroom
http://english.unitecnology.ac.nz/resources/units/short_story/home.html
Online English : The short story: Read to write
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - -
- - -
I'm about halfway through Richard Peck's "Past, Perfect, Present Tense:
new and collected stories" in which he devoted his Introduction to the short
story and how it differs from other forms of literature, such as the poem
and the novel. If you can get your hands on a copy of this book,  you may
find it helpful.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _
No; they are a format.  I say that novels are to short stories as
biographies are to memoirs.  We don't tell the whole story in a memoir;
in fact, there is often very little background information.  It's a
snapshot.  The only thing that's important is the way the main
character develops.

Don't forget Avi's short story collection "What Do Fish Have To Do With
Anything".  It's marvelous.
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -  - - - - -  - - - - -  - - -  - - -
- - -  - - - - -  - - --  - - - - - -
Short stories are not a genre per se.  However, they do have specific
teaching points that distinguish them from a longer work of fiction.  While
I am not certain what the BEST way is to teach the short story, I do think
using selections from the collections you mention (and I would add some of
Don Gallo's collections to the list) is one way to teach the material so
that kids will respond positively.

The elements of plot are basically what can be taught most effectively
through the short story:  conflict, rising action, etc.  Reading a story
together and doing an activity such as a flow chart of the plot followed by
each student selecting her or his own story and doing a similar activity
might be of value.
 - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - -  - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -  - - -
I would connect the concept of a "short story" to something the students
already know - - picture books/easy readers, then discuss the difference
between these "short stories" and "chapter books." A discussion of how
both types of stories use the same elements of literature, the
difference is one of degree. It takes more, time/words/action for the
writer of a novel or play to develp the story than it does the writer of
a short story. Students can then discuss the advantages and
disadvantages of each story length (great for a comparison/contrast
activity).

Short stories are a "genre" in the way they are treated by textbook
publishers- - separate from novels, essays, poetry, etc.; they are also
a form of fiction just like the novella or the novel (or narrative
poetry, for that matter).

What a great discussion for your teachers!

Laurie Woodfin
Neary School
Southborough, MA  01772
lwoodfin@rcn.com