I really like the idea of high-school classes visiting the university
library for an orientation.  One of our problems in public schools is
finding the money to have field trips, but even arranging a workshop on the
university campus on a Saturday for those students who can attend would be
better than nothing.

The University of Texas at Austin also offers courses for the students, and
some introductory information is given at the freshman level in their
English courses, but it is not enough--or they are so overwhelmed that it
doesn't sink in.  I remember having to take a 1 credit course at the
University library when I entered college as a freshman, and it was very
worthwhile.  UT at Austin Libraries also offer courses for students both in
the library and online.  See
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/services/instruction/studentindex.html

When I was a university librarian for a time in my life, I was invited to go
into the university classes and present a lecture on how the library could
support the students in that particular course.  I like that model, but I
doubt many University teachers today take the class time for that
collaboration.

Shirley Lukenbill, Librarian
Wooldridge Elementary, Austin (TX) ISD
and Lecturer, School of Information