Last school year I read the LM_NET discussion about "Mr. Crumb's Secret"
(Fribble Mouse Library Mystery) by Phyllis J. Perry.  I decided to order
it and try to use it with second grade this year.

The results have been mixed.  I have a 30 minute, fixed schedule class.
One week I will read the chapter and the next week we work on the
worksheet.  The worksheets are difficult to complete in our allotted
time.  I decided that this wasn't as important as introducing the
students to the materials and giving them an overview of its use.  Some
weeks I've skipped the worksheet entirely.

Most important to me is that the students love the story.  They enjoy
figuring out the mystery and learning about the materials Fribble uses.
I have created some coloring sheets that go along with the story chapter
and the students color these the week I read the chapter.

I'm using my book fair points to order the second book, "The Secret of
the Silver Key" and "What Happened to Marion's Book?" by Brook Berg.

Bene e Pace (Blessings and Peace),

Paula S.W. Laurita, MLIS
St. John the Baptist Catholic School, K-8
Madison, AL
plaurita@stjohnb.com

Library Sciences Editor
http://librarysciences.bellaonline.com