Thanks for your suggestions and tips to help me in my quest to find books
and materials for the elementary library which reflect Islamic culture.
Below are the responses I received. BTW, the January 2005 issue of School
Library Journal has a Focus On Islam at the beginning of the reviews. There
are some terrific suggestions to be found there.

Thanks again to my fellow LM_NETers for your help!

-------------------------------------

You could do a Titlewave request—they often will answer questions like this
if a search doesn't show up anything.

This is from the ERIC Website. Unfortunately, they focus mainly on the
middle east I think: http://www.ericdigests.org/2002-2/time.htm

Information and Stories about Islam and Muslims
http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/Childrens_Services/islam.html Compiled by the
Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, Indiana. This website provides an
extensive list of books and links which address Islamic Culture.

The Arab World and Arab Americans http://www.ala.org/BookLinks/v09/arab.html
By Kristin Lems, from Book Links, November 1999 9 (2). This article provides
an excellent annotated bibliography (picture books, folktales, poetry,
fiction, and nonfiction) of children's literature set in Arabic countries.
It also includes a fine bibliography and materials that address Arab
Americans and their culture.

Afghanistan for Kids http://www.public.asu.edu/~apnilsen/afghanistan4kids/
By Don & Alleen P. Nilsen at Arizona State University. The Nilsen's lived
with their three children in Kabul between 1967 and 1969. This site is
intended for use by adults and children who want to learn about aspects of
Afghanistan, such as its food, stories, and clothing.

----------------------

This is another list I have seen, also concentrating on the middle east:
http://www.mslma.org/selection/institute01/Islam.htm

Also there are a few books from Bosnia on this list: (do a control-F and put
in Bosnia) http://www.mindspring.com/~mlmcc/kidsbooks.htm

-------------------------------------

One of my daughter's particular favorites: http://www.hoopoekids.com/

-------------------------------------

Books and Videos by Muslim authors:
http://www.astrolabepictures.com
http://www.soundvision.com

There are tons of sites like the above.  Some of them, like soundvision,
might also have their books on amazon.com

One more I just thought of,
http://islamicbookstore.com/publisher-iqra--book-center.html
(be advised that this one is actually for an Islamic school curriculum).

Although no specific mention of Islam, The Day of Ahmed's Secret by Heide is
great for the primaries. It's about the day a little boy learns to write his
name. Set in Egypt.

The joy of sects : a spirited guide to the world's religious traditions /
Peter Occhiogrosso.-- 1st ed.-- New York : Doubleday, 1994. Call# 211 OCC

Islamic fundamentalism / Auriana Ojeda, book editor.-- San Diego, Calif :
Greenhaven, 2003 Call # 297 ISL

19 varieties of gazelle : poems of the Middle East / by Naomi Shihab Nye.--
1st ed.-- New York : Greenwillow Books, c2002. Call # 811 NYE

The space between our footsteps : poems and paintings from the Middle East /
selected by Naomi Shihab Nye.-- 1st ed.-- New York, N.Y : Simon & Schuster
Books for Young Readers, c1998 Call # 808.81 SPA

Anne Paulson
Teacher Librarian
Lake Placid Elementary School
Lake Placid, NY 12946