Barbara Combes said: A TL's role
is to manage information literacy skills development in a school -
collaboratively plan and teach so skills are taught in context, promote
and deliver PD and sessions on fiction ('cos if you can't read you're in
trouble, even cmputers require high level literacy skills) and in
today's school there is a real role for TLs to be involved in the
development and design of online curriculum that incorporates
information literacy skills development in a seamless manner.

This comment prompted me to write about something that I'm struggling with:
teaching skills in context. I am in a 5/6 grade school and have a
fixed/flexible schedule. I see reading classes every other week. Last year I
tried to teach students research skills out of context because I could not
be sure to get every class into the library for research projects. Of
course, when they did come, they didn't really remember the things I had
taught them so I had to do it again. So, this year I am trying to wait until
they come to the library for a research project. The problem is, I still
can't get the teachers to collaborate with me in the planning stages. They
wait until they want to come to the library and schedule time. By then, they
have their due dates set and the amount of time I have with the students is
limited. I don't feel I am doing the right thing either way. I was hoping
that introducing the research process in 5th grade would set the ground work
for the 6th grade projects and that is where I would see real progress. The
problem I've come across with the 6th grade is the teachers either use the
mobile lab or just send kids in small groups to the library to do
"research." I have no prior notice from most of the 6th grade teachers on
research projects. As I write this I see that my real work lies with the
teachers first. Now, how do I get time with them? Suggestions? I haven't
attended their team planning meetings. I have requested they come to me for
a little introduction to our databases. Of 6 teams, only 3 have come for it.
I see I should also include Big 6 info and possibly information on how I can
collaborate from the beginning of a project to make all of our lessons blend
smoothly together. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free
to email me.
Thanks,

Sandra Carswell, Librarian
Lovett Ledger Intermediate