From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Deborah Stafford
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:47 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Technology and the Future of High School Libraries

I was going to stay out of this discussion but can't help myself. I
believe
that we are changing but at the same time we are not. We have better
tools,
can reach more patrons with more up to date materials but our mission
and
reason for existence remain the same.

I don't favor either print or non print. Each has it's place.  I spend
my
limited budget among some online databases I feel are necessary and are
not
purchased by my district, non-fiction print which does get used and
fiction. I buy hard bound and reinforced paperbacks depending upon what
predict the needs are. It is a selection thing. I buy what I can best
afford, using my knowledge of the curriculum, individual teachers and
student preferences. We turn to the print encyclopedia almost as much as
the electronic one, each has its individual merits. In the past I tried
buy up to date country books. I don't bother now, there are too many
online
resources that keep that information more up to date that I can ever
hope
to do. But I buy the Opposing Viewpoints series because they are still
useful and I cannot afford to purchase the online editions. SO I don't
think that print is going away, but things are changing and we change
right
along.

Second, my experience is that we still need a place called the library.
Virtual, online is fine to extend the walls of the library but the
physical facility also serves a purpose. I try to keep everyone informed
about what is available, the "card catalog" extends out to the
classrooms.
(I am looking forward to when my district will update to a program that
can
put our card catalogs beyond the school but we aren't there yet.) The
online databases are available everywhere. Sometimes I travel to a
computer
lab and do a traveling show.  But my main action is still the physical
space called the library. My teachers so far prefer to bring classes in.
Maybe that is because there isn't a computer lab available for them on a
consistent basis but I have to believe it is also for the atmosphere and
expertise.

I have a problem with the idea that Google is "enough".  I use Google
myself, though I prefer Vivisimo for my main searches. But, it isn't
"enough". I don't want information all coming from one resource,
organized
by that resource according to their ranking system, not knowing what has
been left out.

Anyway my after a full day at school 2 cents worth.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany
now proudly on the web at http://www.wies-hs.eu.dodea.edu