I am so excited to hear that young students are required to cite
references within their work.  I teach English 9 and have so many
students that don't know what this is.  I know that it was taught to
them when they were in elementary school, but for some reason it seems
to be skipped in middle school.  I get students who only want to write
creative first person stories over and over again with I think, I
believe, etc.  It takes the entire year for them to understand 3rd
person let alone documentation of sources.  They look at me like I'm
speaking a foreign language.  Ironically, many seem to do better in
Spanish than in English.  Why is that?

I also have students complete book reports both orally and written.
They must complete a bibliographic entry for each book as the year goes
on.  By the end of the year, they have 10 books on a very neat bib.
page.  Still I get students who can't alphabetize.  Baby steps, I guess.

Carma Roesch
Blissfield High School
Blissfield, MI
randcroesch@comcast.net