Interesting.....  Much as I love the internet - this "vision" of a
digital future is something I have always been concerned about.  I
worried about it when the buzz was "pushing" custom-designed news via
email.  Too much information?  No problem - we will customize your
morning "paper" to contain only the news YOU want to hear.  Next came
blogging - a terrific way to expand your access to news.  But - who is
editing that information?   And managing our news access can easily mean
narrowing that access.  The internet with it's potential to exapand our
view and connect to the world, also has the potential to narrow our view
 and isolate us from those that don't share our opinions.  A lot of
people really hate Caleb Carr's book "Killing Time" - but this video
clip makes me realize that Carr's future vision might be pretty close to
the mark.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
jhenry@gananda.org
http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm
>>> dougj <dougj@DOUG-JOHNSON.COM> 01/29/05 11:02 AM >>>
Hi folks,

This is a very interesting (and frightening) short clip on the future of
how
technology my impact the news. Worth watching.

<http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/>

 All the best,

Doug

Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
Mankato Area Public Schools
Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
Mankato MN 56001-8714
507-387-7698 x 473
dougj@doug-johnson.com
www.doug-johnson.com

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments
that take our breath away." -- George Carlin