Although much of this may be considered "futuristic" and many may brush it
aside as being too off-base to be considered as factual, I believe that much
of the presentation provides us with some serious things to think about,
especially after this recent presidential election (with different
publishing companies, news agencies, and media organizations fighting one
another over "whose story was factual and whose story was false!")  When we
begin to allow for "creative journalism" rather than factual reporting, then
we allow for this type of project to move forward.  In the meantime, we must
try to decipher what information is good and what is bad--but at least we
have that choice.

I think there are many areas that we can use this to our benefit right now.
I believe it is a great tool to share with our teachers and administrators
to demonstrate why providing only "one resource" for research (usually
outside of the library and within the wired-classroom) isn't always the best
way to teach our students how to investigate resources for class assignments
/ reports / research papers --- (i.e. "Googling" for research assignments
all the time rather than using other media formats within the library
including books, videos, magazines, journals, newspapers, databases...and a
little online, if necessary.)  If we can suggest to our teachers that using
ONLY Google restricts the students' ability to find wide-ranging resources
on some subjects perhaps they will realize how they may be (in reality)
creating this futuristic world of media which evolves from one-source
selection for all information.  In addition, if we show them this video as a
possible future by-product of our need to "get the information that I want
now" rather than seeing objective viewpoints from various sources (even
reading articles that disagree with our own philosophies but provide for an
open-debate forum) then perhaps they will realize how their limited approach
to research assignments can severely handicap our students (and possibly
bring about the movement toward a One-Source for all Information
needs...."and it ain't the library!")

In essence, I believe we are evolving into a technological society that
isn't creating savvy users of information, but rather pulling many of us
backward into a submissive state of ignorant "Google reguritators."  The
irony of all of this may be that those without access to the Internet may be
the ones who know more about what is happening in the real world than those
of us who are wired.  Perhaps there is no digital divide....instead, it is a
digital island (and those who have access to technology are there alone and
isolated from the real world --- hearing only what we want to hear, seeing
only what we want to see.)

Scary....

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian