Why not let the students choose someone (either from a list of
teacher-choices or perhaps from a list that reflects what resources you have
available in your library) and ask the students to create a presentation
that requires them to demonstrate / explain how the contributions of famous
Black Americans have affected them today.

The students can create a PowerPoint presentation, a poster session, a
video, a skit, a song, etc. that demonstrates the important contributions of
Black Americans (particularly the one of their choice) and tell how that
person's achievements, actions, words, ideas, etc., have impacted them.  You
may want to require at least 3 specific things that show a personal impact
to themselves, their family or their communities, so that you have some
examples.

You can create a rubric that includes the research, the presentation, and
the creativity of the project.  This puts the project back in the students'
court and allows them to choose while you guide them with the mechanical
aspects of the project.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS /US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX