Hi All!
As part of a group project for a graduate program, I am working toward
creating a Web page that will aid librarians serving deaf students in
predominantly hearing schools.  While we are aware that messaging
might not be allowed in many schools, we wonder if this service might
be worth investigating and perhaps worth stretching policy for.  The
page is designed so that librarians would be able to use it as a
template to incorporate into their websites, inserting their own
contact information.

http://joycevalenza.com/deaf.html

Rationale:  While services to deaf students are adequately provided in
school library settings serving predominantly deaf populations,
services in schools with small populations of deaf students are
limited. Reference transactions generally occur through interpreters
and via written notes. Available current technologies and students'
facility with electronic communications make it not only feasible, but
logical that reference services be conducted one-to-one,
librarian-to-student, without the intervention of interpreters. School
librarians already maintain Web services for their school populations.
These services would be made far more inclusive with the addition of
an interface and IM screen to serve the deaf (and potentially other
populations).

Questions:
Would IM services help you serve your deaf students?
How would you edit this page to better meet the needs of your deaf
students?  What resources might you add?
Would IM service create a policy problem in your school?

Please note: The page is still very rough in terms of design!