Hi Joyce and others,

One of the aspects of reputable encyclopaedias that probably wouldn't be
evident in North America is the very brief and often outdated articles about
Australia that appear in most of them. In fact, I have regularly told
students to ignore the Australian articles, even as a starting point in
their research.

For me, it's great to go to the extensive, up-to-date and generally reliable
articles [from my knowledge] about Australia and Australians written by
Australians in Wikipedia. We are such a small country in population that
Wikipedia provides an opportunity for us to have the in-depth coverage that
other countries with larger populations take for granted in the major
encyclopaedias.

I know it's patchy and it takes time to check the validity of the
information, but I see it as a useful experiment in collaboration that we
can use with our students - particularly by getting them involved in the
research and updating process.

BTW - I was very impressed with how quickly a detailed article about the
London bombings was up!

Cheers,

Jill
Jill Midolo, Curriculum Officer (CMIS)
Early Years, K-10, Standards and Support
Department of Education and Training Western Australia
151 Royal Street East Perth WA 6004
Ph: (08) 9264 4192 Fax: (08) 9264 5708
Email: jill.midolo@det.wa.edu.au
Website: http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/cmis/eval/