This has been discussed before at the secondary level
but I don't see a recent one for elementary so here
goes.

Last year our school tried a "One Book, One School"
reading project where every student in grades 2-5
recieved a copy of Freddy in Peril, by Dietlof Reiche
(the K&1 teachers read it aloud to their kids). I
think it went pretty well for a first time round. The
activities were mostly in the classroom (I saw books,
pictures and puppet shows) though we did have a school
wide "Where in the school is Freddy?" contest. It was
so fun to see the kids get so excited about the
character--one kindergarden class had to come tell me
when they finished it. FiP is actually the 2nd in a
series of 3 books and can you guess what sold like
hotcakes at our otherwise slow spring bookfair?

Anyway, I'd like to get started looking for another
title. I'd also like to have more school wide
activities. Anyone done something great (or just have
what they think is a great idea) that they don't mind
sharing?

I would love to do The End of the Beginning, by Avi.
Alas, it is not yet available in paperback--expense is
definitely a consideration.

It TOTALLY doesn't have to, but since I am toying with
the idea of a "theme" this year (Hawks SOAR--Stop,
Open, and Read) a title that relates would be fun. I'd
ask for ideas on that theme, too, but I son't want to
overload the list. I need to come up with some ideas
on my own! 8]

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll post a hit for other
elementary campuses.

Angie Oliverson
Harmony Hills Elem.
San Antonio, TX