The big word is folksomony - user  defined terms rather than codified by
official group or organization.  Probably the best overview is at
Library Clips
<http://libraryclips.blogsome.com/2005/02/21/folksomonies-with-rules/>
Good discussions of many other new technologies (or Web 2) there also.

http://del.icio.us/doc/about  describes tags as "...one-word
descriptors..."  and  technorati.com/tags/ describes as "A tag is like a
subject or category".  I think of them as keywords as opposed to subject
headings or categories.

Since they are one word, there are some limitations; can't use
'information literacy' so try infolit, etc.

Part of the 'Social Bookmarking' incorporated into
furl.net
jots.com
spurl.net
del.icio.us/
(there are others, these are ones I use or am experimenting with)

There are search engines now focusing on blogs (incomplete list:
Technorati, IceRocket, Clusty); they are utilizing  tags.

Then, if you want a step geekier, Technorati, del.icio.us, and others
will do periodic searches based on choosen tags, then send your RSS
reader the results.....

HTH,

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA