Hi!

I received a variety of responses regarding Gallopade's materials.
Wow!  People have had a range of experiences.
I think what I am going to do is order one item & see if it suits our
needs.
Thanks to everyone who offered information!

****
Yes !!!  [Do order them.]  Virginia uses their materials.....correlated
with State curriculum

*****

We use a lot of their materials for research.  They are aligned with
Virginia standards and have topics/biographies where it is difficult to
find simple text.  I haven't spotted any inaccuracies.  In fact, I just
purchase 42 more of their "1000 Readers".  I know they are available at
local teacher's stores if you want to preview them.  Their website is
okay, but you can't order online with a PO.  I faxed the order in and
it was here in about 10 days.

*****
When I ordered from them last spring, they didn't coordinate the MARC
record
order with Sagebrush -- I had to do it myself independently,
subsequently
getting a bill from Gallopade for the books and Sagebrush for the MARC
records, when the PO I'd done was for the entire order was to Gallopade.
Since you get books AND their MARC records together from other book
jobbers,
I didn't understand why I was having to do it separately with Gallopade.
They sent me paperbacks when I'd ordered hardbacks. I returned the
paperbacks and they eventually sent the hardbacks, but also sent bills
for
both sets.  Our business office doesn't ask me to sign off on bills
before
they're paid, so they paid both bills. I had a VERY hard time getting
the
money back for the paperback set -- they wanted to give me a credit to
get
other books. I'd had such a difficult time with their customer service
throughout all this that I did not want a credit because I did not want
use them again.  The books I ordered are in good shape, and the kids
like
them, but the company's customer service left a very bad taste in my
mouth.
Maybe they've changed since then...
*****

I got the set about Mysteries in different places, i.e. Washington
D.C., the Alamo, etc. I like them b/c they introduce the kids to the
places, and keep their interest with the mystery.  Good luck!

*****
I ordered from them years ago, but the items never circulated even
after introducing them to specific grade levels.

****
Years ago I sent a sizeable order to this publisher, for Texas and
Black History materials, I think. I was very, very disappointed. They
were amateurish and poorly presented and bound. I suggest you order one
or two things and see if they meet your needs before investing too
much. I should add that was probably ten years ago, but I would suggest
a bit of caution based on that disappointment. If the things you get
are up to your standards, then you can always get more.
******
I purchase state standard resources for my teachers and use in the
library,
as well as, the Carole Marsh mystery series (which my students love)
from
Gallopade.

I like their resources and their prices are fairly reasonable.

*****

Robin Shtulman
Librarian
Erving Elementary School