(Cross-posted to CALIB listserv)

For California library folk who may not have receive this message via CALIB:

Yesterday my principal dropped off a new video called "Spirit of Yosemite" for me
to consider adding to our collection. I just finished previewing it and it is
wonderful! We received it free from "The Yosemite Fund" group. I don't know if it
is being sent to every school, but the letter enclosed with it was addressed to the
principal. Feel free to forward this message to your principal and let them know
you're looking forward to adding it to your library collection, should they receive
a copy.

I would particularly recommend this video to all 4th grade classes (California
history, geography), and also to 6th grade classes (science standards involving
geology and land formations, impact of glaciers, etc., and Sequoias - "The
Ever-living Tree" would be a good book tie-in - it has a time-line coordinating
ancient history with the concurrent growth of the Sequoias). The film also briefly
introduces Galen Clark (naturalist who convinced President Lincoln to set aside
specific parts of Yosemite) and John Muir, who studied Yosemite for about 40 years
and determined much more area needed to be set aside in order for the vast
ecological system to continue to function properly. It also brings in the early
Native Californians and part of their folklore (San Souci's folktale book on the
two grizzly cubs is a tie-in here).

In addition to the educational aspects, this film is truly a gift to ALL our
students who may not have families able (or inclined) to take them to visit this
precious National Park treasure. Middle schools and high schools that may receive
this video should preview it to determine what its best use at their site would be.

If you received the video without an accompanying letter, please email me and I
will send the address for a follow-up Thank You, if you want to send one.

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.