Dear Librarians:

I have just completed a successful reading incentive program called READ TO
FEED.  Every Spring our library presents R.I.O.T. week (Reading Is Our
Thing).  My predecessor had author visits and also TV Turnoff week with  reading
logs and ice cream parties for participants. Last year (my first at this  school)
I didn't want to break with tradition, so I did that too.  Ice  cream &
reading - what is the connection? And what happens to the poor kids  who didn't
keep a reading log?  It wasn't my style and quite a drag. So  this year I
introduced READ TO FEED, a sponsored reading program from Heifer  International.
_http://www.readtofeed.org/_ (http://www.readtofeed.org/)

This program raises money for families in need throughout the world and
inspires children to read.  The idea is that students get sponsors to pay  them
for each page (or each book for younger children). Each class collects the
money.  With the total in mind, the classroom teacher  goes over the  animal
choices with the class. $120 will get a sheep for a family.  A sheep  gives milk
but also wool (other choices are cow, ducks, bees, lamas, etc.)

The classes have visited the library to learn about the READ TO FEED
program.  After they hear my explanation and understand how PS 87 will  participate,
they watch a 10 minute video supplied by Heifer International  showing some
families in India and Uganda that have benefitted from the gift of  an animal.
One second grader said after the viewing, "Rebecca, I am so  touched!"  One
fourth grade teacher was moved to tears.  Really, it's  a great video,
wonderfully done.
There is also the book, Beatrice's  Goat by Page McBrier, that tells the
story of one little girl, her new goat and  the changes it brought to her family.
This also is nice to read to the  students.

Another tradition with RIOT WEEK are fun dress up days: cap day, pajama  day,
dress up as you favorite character day (this year I wore purple and was
HAROLD'S CRAYON).  But a new theme day I chose was RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS  DAY -
do something nice for someone for no reason at all.  So kindness  became the
theme for the whole week and the children really responded.

The children are bringing in their money envelopes this week and the
teachers are discussing the animal choices with them.  Once that is done,  the
teachers will give me the money.  I'm told that some classes have over  $500!  It's
amazing how the children have been inspired by this.  I  would suggest this
program for second grade and up.

Teacher collaboration is essential in a huge elementary school like ours
(900 students in 36 classes).  I assume the librarian in a really small  school
could do the collection and the animal choice discussion, but I couldn't  have
done this project without the teachers' cooperation and help.

If you would like more info - go to their website or ask me. I'd be happy  to
help.

Have a great summer!

REBECCA  REITZ
Librarian