To continue this thread ... Last year  I went to an international conference
in Christchurch, New Zealand where one of the keynote speakers was Tom
Sergiovanni. In his address he stressed the need to make your mission
statement the beginning of your journey, not its destination.  Having worked
out what you want to achieve, it is essential to work how you will achieve
it and to get the stakeholders to make a series of promises that they will
commit to, to ensure everyone is doing their bit.  These promises need to be
published and displayed as well as any evidence of achievement.  So, if a
student does some outstanding work that demonstrates what you are on about,
display it.  If the parent body makes a donation, share the news.

As a member of a number of international lists, as well as having just
marked a large number of masters level uni assignments, it is clear that
there is a strong culture of giving amongst the t-l fraternity and a concept
that we have to do it all - a path to frustration and burn-out.  What we
need to do, I believe, is to start taking - specifically ask others what
they are going to contribute to making the library and its programs
successful, and hold them accountable by making their commitments public.

A library is for everyone, so everyone must share in its development.
Barbara

Barbara  Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School