We keep several series in separate areas in my library. Among them :
Zoo Books
Eyewitness books
Dear America books
Harry Potter books
Spiderwick Chronicles
Series of Unfortunate Events
Star Wars Books
Girls of All Nations

We have other popular sets together (on top of the 4 foot high shelves) and
the students appreciate having them together. Some children (usually boys)
will browse just the Eyewitness or Zoo books when looking for an extra book
to take out.

I began separating books this way back when we got our first set of
Eyewitness books. They were so  popular that some kids were always asking
for them. That's when we had a card catalog and 40 books. Everyone would be
fighting for that 'E" drawer. So first I put up a list of call numbers on
the side of the catalog. Then I pulled all the books in the series and put
them on the same shelf. Instant success!

Jo

Josephine Dervan,
Strathmore School
Aberdeen, NJ